Providing Opportunities for Music Education
How does the Academy ensure that people have the opportunity to experience music learning?
We have qualified faculty members teaching a variety of instruments and classes:
- We ensure quality teaching. Potential faculty go through an interview and selection process before joining the Academy, as well as a criminal record check.
- We ensure choice. We recruit music teachers to the area based on need. For example, some of our teachers commute from the Central Okanagan to the Academy.
- We offer group classes. An important element of music education is learning to play with others.
- We provide accountability. We manage the payment and registration process on behalf of students and teachers.
- We make music accessible through a bursary program and instrument loans.
- We offer enriching opportunities for students, including monthly recitals, workshops, and summer school
- Of course, coming for lessons to the wonderful, historic Leir House is a bonus!
The Academy of Music is run by the executive director whose role is to manage the Academy’s operations, program development, finances and bookkeeping. The executive director is Lorraine Alatalo. The Penticton Academy of Music office is located in Room 1 in the Leir House, and is open to general inquiries from 1:00 – 5:00 Monday to Thursday. Summer office hours are Monday to Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm. The office is closed on statutory holidays.
Music lessons have been taught at the Leir House since 1969. A music school was operated through the Okanagan Summer School of the Arts (based in the Leir House) in the 1980s and early 90s. Due to growth, it was deemed necessary for the music school to become its own entity.
On April 13, 1994, the Penticton Academy of Music Society became a registered non-profit society, and on August 1 of that year, it received registered charity status. Its Founding Directors were Anna McIvor, Janiese Karpa, Joy Jasper, Sandra Karr, and Elizabeth Davis.
The Academy has grown considerably in student numbers, programs, and supplementary events over the years.